SEWERCAKER SEWERCAKER SEWERCAKER SEWERCAKER SEWERCAKER SEWERCAKER

Sunday, October 23, 2011

Car Seat Covers-Finished!

Well, here they are!  Four custom made carseat slipcovers for four of my favorite babies!!!
This first one goes to my sister Kallie who waited patiently for this cover since February.  Yep.  That is how terribly backed up I have been.  


I don't know if it was more that I was backed up on my orders, or just that I didn't know how to make these covers user-friendly AND easy to make.  I worked and reworked the ideas in my mind...then put them all away for another month or two. 

My final result was this:  cut holes for the straps, running from the bum area all the way up to the shoulder straps, in a button-hole fashion.  Come back and sew a strip of fabric behind the cover that sticks out past the button hole-ish edge about 1 inch, and make the opening snap shut with hand dandy plastic snaps.  
It seems to work!  Now the cover can be put on and quickly taken off without undoing the straps from the back of the carseat.  Whew.  Glad I figured that one out.  Seriously, half of the delay had to have been from mortal dread when really, the process wasn't all that bad. {don't take that as an invitation to ask me to make you one :0}  There is a reason these guys are so expensive online!

Cover number two:  Damask Minki!!!!  Love it.
Had Nikki not picked out this fabric herself and handed it to me all paid for, I may not have given it back to her.  The minki worked so beautifully.  Don't you just love the red with the black and white?  


Cover number three: Black with hot pink.  Saucy!  
This one was super easy.  I didn't have to worry about the direction of the print pattern or anything.  Linda's baby is going to look adorable in this lush carseat.

 
Last but not least...in fact, Amber waited from June all the way until now for this car seat cover.  You can't hand me a pile of fabric just before Super Saturday prep begins and expect anything to come of it, now can ya?  Aren't my friends the best.  They were all so patient with me.  Amber picked red fleece for the cover part, then cotton baseball for the canopy.  The fleece was super nice because I didn't have to make it two layers.  I ran bias tape all around the strap openings and then installed snaps to keep them closed.  

That should work great for her little slugger.

Whew.  I can't even tell you how good it feels to finally get those four projects finished.  If I had more time and the smallest nerve left I would have made the head supports and strap covers for them all too.  I finally decided they were only for the paying customers ;0)  Actually, I still plan to make them, I just need a few more months {embarrassed snickers}

1 comment:

  1. That is exactly what I did. I managed to just use an upholstery needle to attach it back to the carseat. I thought it was going to be to hard but the needle held up great! read me

    ReplyDelete